Do you want a complete reference e-book about all issues diabetes? Pick up a replica of Diabetes Head to Toe (affiliate hyperlink) by Rita R. Kalyani, MD, MHS, Mark D. Corriere, MD, Thomas W. Donner, MD, and Michael W. Quartuccio, MD, all of whom are physicians at Johns Hopkins.
Full disclosure: Both Dr. Kalyani and I are members of the DiabetesSisters Board of Directors. I met her for the primary time in particular person final May and we exchanged books. I gave her a replica of The Pocket Carbohydrate Counter Guide for Diabetes and she or he shared Diabetes Head to Toe with me. We had enjoyable evaluating our e-book writing experiences.
Dr. Kalyani is on the forefront of the motion to educate well being care professionals about diabetes language and stigma and her e-book displays that. You received’t discover any judgments, simply a variety of sensible details about overcoming denial, educating your self, and making acceptable life-style modifications.
What’s Included in Diabetes Head to Toe?
- Chapter 1: A Quick Overview of Diabetes
- Chapter 2: Diagnosis, Screening, and Types of Diabetes
- Chapter three: General Aspects of Diabetes
- Chapter four: Diabetes in Special Populations
- Chapter 5: Lifestyle and Behavioral Changes in Diabetes
- Chapter 6: Obesity and Diabetes
- Chapter 7: Diabetes Complications and Other Conditions Common in Diabetes
- Chapter eight: An Overview of Treatments for Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes
- Chapter 9: Medications Commonly Used to Treat Diabetes
- Chapter 10: Medications for Conditions Related to Cardiovascular Disease
- Chapter 11: Diabetes Technology and Equipment
- Chapter 12: Cutting-Edge and Future Treatments for Diabetes
What You’ll Learn
Diabetes Head to Toe discusses the fundamentals, after all, together with variations between Type 1 and Type 2, the significance of blood glucose monitoring, carb counting, the plate methodology, and coverings.
The bulk of the e-book (Chapter 7) discusses how diabetes impacts your complete physique and goes by way of every organ and system in nice element. It additionally covers despair and psychological well being.
- Brain: stroke, dementia, and despair
- Eyes: retinopathy, cataracts, and macular edema
- Ears: listening to loss
- Mouth: tooth and gum illness
- Thyroid: thyroid illness
- Heart: coronary heart illness, congestive coronary heart failure, hypertension, dyslipidemia (irregular ldl cholesterol and triglycerides), and metabolic syndrome
- Circulation: peripheral arterial illness
- Lungs: obstructive sleep apnea
- Stomach, Gut, Liver, and Pancreas: gastroparesis, celiac illness (and Type 1), nonalcoholic fatty liver illness (NAFLD), and pancreatitis
- Kidneys: diabetic kidney illness, dialysis, and kidney transplantation
- Bladder: bladder problems together with urinary incontinence
- Nerves: peripheral and autonomic neuropathy
- Feet: amputation, foot ulcers, wound therapeutic, neuroarthropathy (Charcot Joint Disease)
- Muscle, Skin, and Bones: pores and skin situations, muscle and joint ailments, osteoporosis, and vitamin D deficiency
- Cancer and Diabetes: widespread cancers and pancreatic most cancers
- Anemia, Infections, and Immune System: anemia and infectious ailments
- Men’s Health: male sexual difficulties, erectile dysfunction, and low testosterone
- Women’s Health: being pregnant, gestational diabetes, feminine sexual difficulties, menopausal results, menstrual cycle results, and polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)
My Thoughts about Diabetes Head to Toe
- As somebody with each NAFLD and PCOS, I used to be thrilled to see a dialogue of the tie between each situations and diabetes. Most info you see about both assumes you may have that situation and nothing else.
- I received a bit overwhelmed studying Chapter 7 multi functional sitting. Realizing the results that diabetes can have on your entire physique programs is usually a little miserable. However, data is energy and now I’ll be extra vigilant about prevention.
- Although I strive to observe my physician’s recommendation, watch my food plan, and train recurrently, there was one time when, it doesn’t matter what I did, my BGs weren’t in vary. I beat myself up till I discovered a brand new endocrinologist who advised me it wasn’t my fault. It actually struck residence after I learn “Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, and even if you do everything right, you may still need higher doses or more medications over time” in Diabetes Head to Toe.
- The books comprises many anatomical drawings that, as a visible particular person, I discovered extraordinarily useful. For instance, the liver is greater up than I noticed and it’s monumental!
- I like that there’s a quick part on complementary and various therapies akin to meditation, yoga, and dietary supplements like cinnamon and chromium.
- The appendix comprises a useful desk itemizing the entire diabetes medicines at the moment out there within the U.S. Chapter 9 describes every class of drug in nice element.
- Each part of the e-book is adopted by a highlighted paragraph entitled “What Does It All Mean?” This interprets the medical language into plain English. Even if you happen to don’t have time to learn the entire e-book, you’ll study loads simply by studying the knowledge within the blue packing containers.
- I admire the reasons of assorted lab checks. For instance, my physician at all times retains an eye fixed on my ALT and AST liver enzymes, however I by no means actually understood what they had been. There can be a great clarification of the varied kidney perform checks like creatinine, GFR, and albumin.
“Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease, and even if you do everything right, you may still need higher doses or more medications over time.” – Diabetes Head to Toe
Diabetes Head to Toe is a e-book to scan and hold in your bookshelf for future reference when particular issues come up throughout your diabetes journey. All sections of the e-book is not going to apply to you personally, however the ones that do will present invaluable perception and steerage. Everyone’s diabetes is completely different and this e-book completely addresses that reality.